Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 9 - Forum

This weeks forum was presented by Tristan, and was about his masters degree.

It was really interesting to see what he's doing, and what it's all about. The idea that resonant frequencies can be enhanced into making music all of its own is an amazing thought. I have to say, I'm a bit of an over-thinker when it comes to these things, but the theory would imply that then EVERYTHING has a resonant frequency, and so there is always music everywhere around us. So really, what Tristan is doing, is exploring the sounds of nothing. Amplified nothing. And that is an awesome thought.

Also, despite not really understanding the idea of focused listening, the way it sat with me made me think of it as a pretty interesting idea too. The way I took it was that it means focusing your listening to music on certain aspects. Which is a good way to look at it. I mean, I wouldn;t want to do that to all my music, but sometimes its good to really concentrate and think about what you're listening to.

There isn't too much I can say on the topic, because I dont know enough about it. I just think it's a really interesting idea, and I hope to be able to hear the final composition.

1 comment:

Darren S said...

I found it thought provoking too. Very tiny sound exaggerated.