Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Week 8 - CC

This week Creative Computing was a continuation of the ideas and concepts presented in the last class. *(1) Last week we learnt how to use and manipulate Reason for DigiDesign, and this week we were supposed to use FScape and Soundhack to make our soundscape. Again, not many problems were involved with this weeks exercise, so I managed to get through it fairly easily, which is making me more confident that I'm on the right track. Problems I encountered were the keyboard not getting through to Reason, which Doug showed me how to fix. Preferences and then keyboard and everything. Also FScape wasn't loading. Or it was, and was crashing. I'm not entirely sure, but after an email stating that it wasn't my fault and we could go on without it, happily went to play around wth SoundHack.

Mostly I just used the Phase Vocoder program, because that gave the most obvious sound difference, and was easiest to understand. We'd also been over it in class so I wanted to make sure I was familiar with it. I liked that you can change the time scale by either specifying the time you want the sound to be, or doubling it. I think that'll be useful when it comes to the creative computing project.

In the end, I manufactured all my sounds and played it through the NN19. One of my sounds was really percussive so I used that as a background noise, with the other sounds built around it. I tried to give it some form this time, and a repeating pattern, but it's still not a really understandable piece. I think I actually like my Chape piece better... But anyway, here is the finished product and a picture of the Reason window.



NOT THE CHAPE







*(1) Christian Haines, Creative Computing Lecture,

2 comments:

Darren S said...

I was looking forward to hearing your sample but ripway is very slow server (waited and waited and not halfway so cancelled). Also, the sample looks rather largish (3mb). Try mydatabus.com

Freddie said...

Cute sounding. I liked it. I imagined a drunken pokemon. Pika..Pika...plonk...

This is really good.