Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Week 8 - FORUM

This weeks forum has the same topic as last weeks. Gender in Music Technology. And again, it felt weird to be the only girl in the room. Well, I was once Laura had finished her presentation and left.

I thought that this week it was even harder to sit through. Mostly because I didn't have the chance to say what I thought about everyone else's thoughts. A lot of the things said could be taken one of two ways, and it just felt awkward again.

One of the views presented was that the technology is a sexual thing for males, which is why a lot of girls aren't interested. That was a little hard to hear. Well, hard to hear and not get up and tell everyone what I thought in loud and certain terms. As much as I've decided that it is an issue if people want it to be, I still dont see it as a problem. If I have many troubles in the industry because it's such a male oriented career, then I'll just have to work around it. The way they said that it's sexually male made me feel like I was doing something wrong for loving tech so much. I mean, as much as I don't want to put this on here, I think it's relevant... It's like saying that because I'm bi-sexual, that's why I'm attracted to the area. When I'm almost entirely certain that ISN'T the case.

However, the idea that women should stop worrying about number equality and aim for ability and acceptance equality is still what I believe should happen. So despite feeling awkward for 4 hours for a few weeks, I hope this topic has given the boys something to think about. In a good way.

The end...

No comments: