Wednesday, May 2, 2007

CC - Week 7

This weeks class was on Sampling *(1). The idea was to use a recorded voice to alter and make into an electrtonic instrument.

First I had to get the voice. I used Orator on the Macs, to read out the quote. I used one of the female voices, because I thought it sounded the most interesting. I then loaded that sound into Peak to choose which of the phrases or sounds I could use for my samples. I pretty much jsut chose random ones that were interesting. Now I'm thinking I should have chosen a few longer ones, because all my sounds bar one that was looped anyway were really choppy and short. Which I didn't feel was as interesting.

A picture of the Peak window:


The idea was then to translate the sounds into Reason and use the sampler NN19 to make them go to the keyboard so you can play it. After a few troubles I managed to work out how to do it. At first the keyboard was picking up the wrong program within Reason. I changed it over and was set. For awhile I just mucked around with the settings, seeing what I could and couldn't do. I looped two sections forwards and one other, the bass part, forwards and backwards. I did this to create a kind of background for my soundscape, a sound that would continue on while the other sounds were being played.

Here is a picture of the Reason window after I'd finished manipulating my samples:




I've named my soundscape 'The Chape' because one of the only sounds thats recognisable is a chape noise. It doesn't really have any meaning, I just played things until it sounded interesting. And here it is... Presenting, THE CHAPE!!

THE CHAPE!






*(1) Christian Haines, 'Processing', Creative Computing Lecture, 26th April, 2007

1 comment:

Sanad said...

I like the way you made your background using a low bass note and build other stuff on top of it. I think you had the idea of shifting the pitch as well but there is just two hands. Nice tune.