Sunday, May 13, 2007

Week 9 - AA

Ok this week, Audio Arts was based around bass guitar recording. *(1) As usual we went over the different mics, recording techniques, and a few examples. Bass is one of those instruments that has so many different possible soudns and recording techniques that it could take ages to understand them all. However we had a go.

Unfortunately, this week I had a lot of problems securing a bass player. The two people I asked to play, and who said they could play, bailed on me. So I despite having time booked on friday night and saturday afternoon there was nothing I could do. Which is highly annoying. However, I will write about what I thought I should've done, and what would've been the plan.

I was going to do one with the D/I, because I thought that had the best sound. There was no outside noise and the recording is crisper. The bass is more... well, bassy.

I was also going to use the Shure 56 Beta, because it makes a grungier rock sound, and that's what my band for my major project is.

I'm sure if I'd made it into the studio I would've had time to experiment with more mics, but seeing as my bass players bailed I didn't have the chance. A dodgy excuse I know, but there you have it.












*(1) Steve Fieldhouse, Audio Arts Lecture, 7th May 2007

No comments: