Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Week 10 - CC

This weeks Creative Computing class was all about the wonderful program known as Metasynth. *(1) It's a program (only for Macs annoyingly) that allows the user to easily manipulate sounds using general effects. It's easier than ProTools and other programs I thought, because the effects are right there, and are easy to use and understand. It's all fairly self-explanatory which is always a good thing.

This week we used two of the possible effect rooms, 'effects room' and 'image synth'. I didn't spend as much time in Image synth as Effects Room, but both have a lot of awesome things to do with changing the sounds.

The basic idea was to change around the vocal sample from last week in the program to make a minute long soundscape. The way I did mine, was to copy and paste various sections almost randomly and see what it gave me. However, one problem with this is it can be difficult to change something back. But that was overcomeable. One of the main things I did to make my soundscape was repeat sequences backwards. It gives a different sound, but feels familiar to the audience. I also used a lot of harmonics, mostly because they were just great fun! Volume helped to correct a few sound issues, and pitch and time made a lot of the sounds that little bit weirder.

In the end, I think my soundscape is a little creepy... but I like it. So here I present: Chape No More!

And of course, a picture of the Metadynth window...


>>>CHAPE NO MORE<<<

1 comment:

Darren S said...

Subtle and I liked the variations on a theme. Strange animal noises.