Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week 4 - Forum - Collaborations

This was the first week of student presentations in forum, and I think they got off to a good start! Collaborations is an interesting subject to pick, because there are so many different possibilities to choose from. However, most presentations were based on successful collaborations.

The one I'd like to focus this blog on was by David, and involved the collaboration between Michael Karmen and Metallica. Symphonic metal is an interesting concept, especially with a band like Metallica that has complex rhythmic and harmonic patterns. The presentation reminded me of an album I own, which is symphonic Pink Floyd. It differs to the collaboration between Karmen and Metallica in that the end product is Pink Floyd music played in an orchestral arrangement, instead of an orchestra playing with the band.

The arrangements and performance is stunning, and allows the audience to see how intricate the music is. I liked this presentation because hearing metal and rock music played with a symphony orchestra is almost an ironic idea, but seems to work so well.

The other presentation that was especially interesting was Sanad's. He talked about the collaboration of two styles, world and western music. He used the topic to start a political argument, which soon became farily charged. His idea was that the collaborations between world musicians and western musicians should be more equal. As it is, the world musicians change their music to fit western structure and rules to be more commercial. His point was that Western musicians should be adapting as well. I'd agree, but not through a real understanding of the problem. More because I'd like to hear the different styles that could be created through such collaborations.

Looking forward to hearing more opinions from the group! We are a rather opinionated bunch it seems.

1 comment:

Sanad said...

FINALLY! someone did not say that I sucked with my presentation!
Thanks but to be honest I really do believe that I did a horrible job!
Cheers and see you.