Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week 4 - CC

This weeks task was to make an abstract soundscape of the previously recorded and edited paper noises. Then to represent the sound scape with a piece of paper. So a very abstract week really.

Being unable to really get any time in the lab until today, I've really left it too late, and let me tell you, I won't make that mistake again. I've been having a LOT of problems with this. For starters, ProTools doesn't seem to be able to read any of my files. I don't know if that's my old problem with SPEAR playing it up or what. I can't even open the copies in SPEAR. I've tried changing the format of the sounds to .wav and .mp3 and even .ptf, but the program still can't read it. So basically I'm in trouble because if I can't even get my sounds into ProTools, I'm not going to be able to make a soundscape obviously, and of course, can't make a representation of it with the paper. I'm very frustrated at the moment. Maybe it's just me, but I can never get anything to work. I'm going to come in on friday or something for this weeks task so I'm not leaving it late, and if I have these problems I can work it out. Definately going to have to see Christian to work this out. I'm really over being one of the only people that has trouble with all this to be honest.

Well, just to demonstrate that I DO know what's going on, if only to a small extent, I'll say what I was going to do. From what I understood, the idea was to put all the different sounds in ProTools, and layer it so it made a connection of different sounds as one. Not a very good explanation but it's close to what I meant. I was going to base it on building up from the quieter sounds and adding the different parts until it was all big and climatic, and then taking them away the same way I added them. However, clearly I can't do that. I know that you need to get the new session and then new track and import the sounds and everything, but why can't I actually do it in practise?? I really hope it's the sounds and not me. Maybe if we still use the sounds next week I'll re-record them and start from the word go.

That's that. I've tried to not be stupid, but i can't avoid it, it would seem.

No comments: