Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Week 3 - CC - SPEAR

This week's task was another that had me a little dubious about my skills, or lack of. The general gist seems easy. Edit the frequencies of the paper sounds from last weeks exercise in SPEAR to make new sounds. I have in fact managed to do this, if a little late. Of course, there has to be a 'but'. Unfortunately, I can't seem to really navigate SPEAR. I'm hoping it's for some reason not my fault, but let's be honest, it probably is. I'm not doing too well at this. I can't seem to get it to playback the sounds. I've used the playback scrub button on the tools window, with many different combinations of other buttons, but can't get anything to play.

Also, when I upload it to ripway, its only saving the data of it. I don't know if thats right or what. So I figure if I jsut change around the structure and post that, you should be able to play that on a MAC. Maybe. Hopefully. It's not really the point though. I'm supposed to be learning what makes it sound different. Well, I'll get into the computers this weekend or friday or something and try it on there. I think that's going to be the plan from now on, until I get my own MAC. To do the exercises at uni. That would solve a whole lot of problems. OK, so here are the edited versions of my original sounds (also thanks to everyone for giving me hints on how to make the link work. I know what I did wrong now. It was stupid. All fixed!):

I hope I've completed this task correctly, despite yet more computer problems. I'm really starting to worry that my computer problems aren't the computer's fault at all. I need to get into the lab at uni to really work out if I'm having trouble, or if my computer is just a bit confused. So there we go. The sounds, in edited form. I hope it actually sounds half decent, but I won't know until tomorrow or later. Fingers crossed.

No comments: