Wednesday, March 7, 2007

MusTech Forum - Wk 1 - Introduction

The first week of Music Technology Forum was basically an information session to let myself and the other first-years know what the purpose of the forum was. It combines all the years, and sometimes the VET and degree students. As far as I can see, the basic formula is that the first half is to talk and discuss problems and interests we have encountered during the week. Having the second and third years there will really help I think, as they have the experience to help with any minor problems or confusion. It’s also good to know who else is doing the program, especially for the extra support.

The second half of the forum is for the presentations. Each week a group of people will present their ideas and research on a certain topic. I assume then that the group discusses the ideas, or at least the presentation is entered into their online blog for comments. The different topics seem interesting, and I have been allocated “Gender In Music Technology”. This is something I have an interest in, being one of the only women doing the degree, and am entering a male dominated field of work. However, I don’t think it is an important issue because I can’t see that a male or female engineer would have many different ideas or styles, considering we’re trained in the same way. Of course, I can use that as part of my presentation. I’m looking forward to hearing other people’s opinions on the topic too.

I like the idea that we mix with the VET students, if only once in awhile, because it’s just another whole lot of people to meet with the same interests. It also builds contacts which might be useful. They might also be experiencing the same problems as me, so that could be another way of working things out without needing to interrupt the lecturers with small matters. I’m looking forward to forum and getting other peoples opinions on certain ideas and topics.

1 comment:

Sanad said...

Hey, Amy,
Can you send emails to christian and others in the EMU?
Apparently mine doesn't work and the problem is that I have to put this report up before monday!
Any suggestions?